Tuesday, January 19, 2010

204(-10.5lbs)


So I hit the 10 pound weight loss milestone and I treated myself with a night of wine and a dinner out with some good friends. I felt so guilty the next day! I ate salmon and grilled veggies, with some spinach, but giving away control of how your food is prepared is like giving your waistline over to someone else.

Some of you may have read the recent study that found that meals in restaurants and fast food places are up to 18% higher in fat and calories than they list in their nutritional profiles.

The restaurant food seemed overly salty and I was so thirsty the next day! When I got on my scale the next morning, I had put on 2 pounds from the previous morning. I stayed busy the remainder of the weekend, and followed my eating plan and was down a half a pound on Monday's weigh-in at QWLC, but I just do not feel as good when I eat out or drink alcohol.

One of my challenges this week has been blood sugar spikes and dips. I am becoming more aware of when I need to eat fruit, protein, or get some kind of food in my body. I do not usually get hungry before I eat and I found out this is actually a healthy thing. When I get to the point that my body/stomach is telling me to "feed" it, my metabolism has already slowed down to snail's pace and then you usually feel that you need to eat more to fill your ravenous hunger.

I try to eat breakfast about fifteen minutes after I wake up, then have a high protein, low fat snack at about 10pm. Lunch is best between noon and 1:30pm and I find that an apple about 4pm gets me through to dinner quite nicely. I usually try to eat by 7:30pm and I eat a noticeably smaller amount of food and am always satisfied.

I have had a few "drunk" or lightheaded moments when I get too busy and do not get my food in at the right time. I caught myself driving in such a daze yesterday, that I had to pull over and eat one of my protein bars because I literally felt like I was drunk driving. I had not had a thing to drink in days! I guess this is a sign that my metabolism has changed and I am getting to know a new side of my body. I have always been very aware of my body and quite sensitive to changes in ANYTHING to do with my body, but this is taking a little while to get used to.

Finally, I am completely in love with Orange Roughy. It is a fish that has a bit of a heavier texture with a mild flavor. I made some in foil packets for my Mom and I. The serving size is a 6oz fillet(large) and I placed fat free dressings on top of each fillet before sealing them in foil packets. I preferred the honey Dijon with a little lemon pepper and dill, but the one with Italian dressing was also very good. I cooked them for about 15 minutes at about 350 degrees. So easy, tasty and healthy. We had them with some steamed broccoli and green onions. I have found that the plastic microwaveable rice-cooker my Mom gave me is the easiest way to cook(steam) my veggies. Usually 5 minutes cooking time with the vent closed, and let it sit 3-5 minutes afterwards and continue to steam, and the vegetables come out al dente. You can find one at Target or Walmart, and Mom has even found them at the dollar store! There are also many stores that carry the steam in bag veggies now. You have to be sure to get the ones without sauces or preservatives, but I am loving the convenience of fresh green beans that steam in the bag. I will eat them the entire week.

Well, I went out to dinner tonight and was very good with my food choices. I had a spinach salad with grilled shrimp, grilled portabello mushrooms and tomatoes. I used my own fat free dressing and took off the croutons, but I left the Gouda cheese on the salad and will probably pay for it on the scales tomorrow. I will also be working with my trainer tomorrow, so I am trying not to feel too guilty about the small amount that I ate. (and, yeah, it was damn good!) I am also starting Avon Walk for Breast Cancer training this Saturday and Sarah and I have committed to doing at least 4 miles our first time out. Let me know if you would like to come join us!

Also- I have included a picture of my baby girl, Abby, who has been getting a bit chunky since my weight loss began. Aparently, I am feeding her more treats, but we have now started breaking them into smaller pieces and she is slimming down along with her Mom. ABBY SAYS "HELLO"!

2 comments:

Marsha said...

I appreciate the detail of your blog. It is educational and inspiring. I love the part about giving away control of how your food is prepared is like giving your waistline over to someone else.

Sarah Andrews said...

Mak,

Congrats!! 10 pounds is a big deal! Hang in there! I am with you all the way!

Sarah